Thursday 22 July 2010

Best Laid Plans.

As many may already know, my swim came off the rails around the 10 hour mark. Having swam through the separation zone, I was lined up to land just north of the Cap. However, my old bones had better ideas and I was pulled from the water by my pilot (Ali) on safety grounds, a decision I didn't agree with at the time but as it turns out was, without doubt, the best one. This is why the pilots deserve every penny they are paid and why I have the upmost respect for what they do.

Thank-you to everyone who sent such wonderful words of encouragement before, during and after my swim. It is great to know that so many were willing me on, and I'm sorry I couldn't deliver, but over the next few days I will attempt to contact you all in some form to say thanks.

I will at some point put a more detailed acconut on the blogimebob, but for now thankyou all for believing in me and sorry.

Andy

3 comments:

sea swimmer said...

Never say sorry for completing an awesome 10+ hour swim! Well done for getting as far as you did, and huge commiserations that it didn't work out after all that training. Much love & huge hugs xx

eoino said...

Hi there,
I was really sorry to see you didn't make it but I really don't believe you need to be sorry for anything. There are very few people in the world who can do what you've done!
I was watching Steven Black's progress on-line and picked up your blog and tracker.
It must be heartbreaking for you but hopefully you will be able to see the positives soon...
Take care of yourself and your family,
Eoin
(A Cork Swimmer)

a blogger said...

Hey Andy, don't be sorry. You gave it your best shot, the stars weren't aligned for you this time. Well done for getting as far as you did. Even getting to the start line is a heck of an achievement, most people (me, for one) never get that far, let alone half way across.

And not everyone shows the good grace after disappointment that you've shown in your blog post.

Chapeau!