Tuesday 29 June 2010

Wot I did at Dover - 26 & 27th June

It's 02:30 Saturday morning and we're up and heading off to Dover! Arriving in lovely sunshine we had a gossip and a chat with fellow swimmers, then it was time to pay homage to the General who was looking well. I was hoping for a 7 hour swim to consolidate Ireland and Freda didn't disappoint, giving me the task of announcing the days swim to the expectant crowd. Once the muttering had died down and the greasing was completed, we entered the water at 9am and I planned to swim hard for the entire swim. Feeding at 2 hours then on the hour, everything was great for the first hour, but then I was stung yet again by a jelly fish across the face. I heard a little voice in my head saying "suck it up boy" so on I swam with everything feeling good up to the feed at hour 5, I got 20 yards out and up it all came, if England had played as well as I chundered they would have stuffed the Germans! Being a brave little soldier (sorry Cliff, Airman) I carried on to the end, still swimming well (all things are relative). I did come in at 6 hours 59 min 30 sec and had stones thrown at me until I turned back and did an extra 20 yards to complete the 7 hour, but all in all a good swim.

Sunday morning was even warmer and promised to be even hotter as the day progressed. This time a 6 hour. Chris Jordinson had given me a couple of sea sickness pills to try, which I accepted despite my Mum telling me never to take sweeties from strangers! Whether it was calmer conditions, me swallowing less water or the pills, I came out of the water feeling strong and with a intact stomach. The way forward for the Channel is to use sea sickness pills for me.

Overall, a great weekend of swimming that has boosted my confidence for the big day. If I can repeat or do better next weekend I will be very happy and will feel as ready as I can be.

Keep you all posted.

1 comment:

Karen Throsby said...

Great swimming this weekend, Andy. You're looking on great form for the big day.
Best
Karen